Monday, September 17, 2012

Fall Stitches......

Fall is finally arriving here in TN!  The weather is getting cooler and the days are getting that crisp, clear, sunny look that is so energizing!  Love it!  Here's a look at one of my favorite things, a pillow I cross stitched years ago to welcome fall.   When I lived in Green Bay WI, I found a fabulous x-stitch shop which was owned by a wonderful woman named Robin who has since passed away.  When I found her little place, I had just moved there and knew no one.  When she saw where I lived, she told me she had a customer who had also just moved here and lived on my street.  She then proceeded to call her and hand me the phone.  Needless to say, "Judy" and I made plans to meet and became best friends.  We both loved to cross stitch and she was also a fabulous quilter.  Robin would open her shop twice a week at night and women could come for a couple of hours and stitch, shop and just have fun.  It was a blast and some of my best memories were made there, stitching away with friends!  I have to tell you this, I thought it was hysterically funny!  The Fox River runs thru the middle of Green Bay and there are bridges  for crossing back and forth all thru town.  Green Bay is not that big and shopping and restaurants are all over  both sides.  One of the first things people would ask when you met is "where do you live"?  When I'd tell them, they'd say "oh, I NEVER go on that side of the River"!  That just cracked me up, I couldn't imagine how they couldn't because it's basically like crossing the street!   I loved living there,  WI is a beautiful and wonderful place, a very well kept secret!   Go Packers!!  Just a example of what it's like,  the police cruzed  the neighborhoods and passed out GB Packer football cards to all the kids!  











Till next time......
Rebecca

I'll be partying this week at:

Monday

18 comments:

Tara said...

Sounds cozy, bundled up with friends in a little shop stitching away! Cute pillow!

Sweet Posy Dreams said...

So neat. I've been in Wisconsin many times, but have never made it to Green Bay. It's on my to-do list!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

What wonderful memories that pillow brings back to you. I only saved 2 counted cross stitch samplers, but spent many hours stitching away when our babies were sleeping.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Oh your pillow is just gorgeous! You did an awesome job on it!

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

Sweet post of your warm memories of that happy time. :)
How's your little peanut doing?
xxx, Tina

Clara said...

Oh..I just love your pillow and the little acorns. There's a shop in Spring Green, Wisconsin called Country Sampler. I love shopping their website. A lot of pretty things to see.
~Clara

Jen said...

That is such a lovely story--I love the idea of the drop-in evenings.

Ruby and Arthur said...

This is such a sweet pillow. I used to cross stitch, too! Go Packers! Jean

Geneva said...

Isn't it funny how a little thing can stir up so many wonderful memories. This was a sweet post! Makes me want to visit WI ":0)

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Awww..great story :) We live "next door" in MN. My husband comes from a long line of "die hard" Vikings fans...but my son has decided he's a Packer fan...scandalous ;) Thanks for your sweet comment on my ladder hook rack! Chat soon, Laurel

Maria Elena said...

Oh, I used to cross stitch all the time when my kids were little! Beautiful pillow! Thank you for your visit today! Our son arrived yesterday. It is so nice to have him home for a little while. I am your new follower!

Melanie said...

That sounds like so much fun, visiting a shop like that and stitching with friends!! Enjoyed that story and love your pillow!! Visiting from Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson.

debra said...

Beautiful pillow and an enjoyable post about the fun you had with friends while working on it :)

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Your pillow is charming. So was your story about how you met your best friend!

Debra

Cottage and Broome said...

Beautiful cross stitch pillow. Embroidery and cross stitch were one of the very first crafts I learned to do, still a favorite. Laura

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Rebecca, I love your pillow. I use to do alot of cross stitch. Now I just do embroidery work. Hubby and I vacationed in Door County, WI a couple years ago and it truly is a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
Hugs,
Jann

Robin said...

Hi Rebecca! I haven't had a chance to get out to Woodbury yet. I could probably have some things ready in a couple of weeks. Do you think there is room for a triple dresser? You can email me at TwoVintageSisters@yahoo.com.


Thanks! Robin

Katherines Corner said...

so cute! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to stop by and say thank you. xo